An Equal Opportunity Employer
No. Vacancies: 1.0
Department: 16405.Information Systems
Location: McLean, VA
Travel %: Less than 10%
Education: Four-year college degree
Experience: At least 5 years of experience required
Equivalency: Equivalent combination of education & experience not considered
Does this position have direct reports: No
At this transformative moment, as we work toward the launch of our next generation of satellites, we are looking to attract the next generation of bold thinkers who will continue our legacy of innovation for decades to come.
Project managers are responsible for structuring and leading cross-functional, strategic IT initiatives, acting as the catalyst to proactively anticipate, identify and overcome obstacles and drive the team forward in a highly matrixed environment. Project managers lead a variety of different types of projects including application development and integration, COTS product selection study and implementation, infrastructure upgrades and deployments and operational efficiency improvements.
You must have the following to be considered for this role:
- A Bachelor’s Degree with at least five years of experience driving project success
- Fluency with MS Office tools including MS Project.
- Exposure to a wide variety of methodologies, project types, and technologies.
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 10% of the time at the Company’s discretion.
- Proven ability to quickly earn the trust of sponsors and key stakeholders; mobilize and motivate teams; set direction and approach; resolve conflict; deliver tough messages with grace; execute with limited information and ambiguity.
- Exceptional analytic skills and problem solving abilities that enable the candidate to decompose project requirements, designs, and implementation details so as to anticipate and codify these factors in an actionable plan, as well as to enumerate the risks of non-performance and to incorporate prevention and remediation measures within the plan.
- Ability to communicate at all levels with clarity and precision both verbally and written; distill the essence of a complex situation and facilitate decisions that keep the project moving forward.
- Strong negotiating and influencing skills such that the sometimes diverse project constituencies believe that their needs were acknowledged and well served within the project/program constraints.
- The ability to work autonomously to understand root cause of a problem and propose solutions to the team or supervisor.
- Creative project management expertise that goes beyond mechanical project management practices
Considered a Plus:
- Experience with Agile/Scrum or other iterative methodologies a plus.
- Experience and familiarity with satellite communications, satellite-based video & data services, RF/TT&C (Telemetry, Tracking & Control) services, RF monitoring and geolocation a strong plus.
- Certified Project Management expertise valuable but not essential
- Brings adequate clarity to project objectives, plan and deliverables such that conflicts are minimized
- Manages highly matrixed teams, providing structure and environment of accountability to keep teams focused on achieving agreed project objectives on schedule and budget
- Manages multiple concurrent projects varying in size and complexity
- Directly manages all aspects of the project lifecycle with focus on right-size formality while satisfying SDLC requirements
- Develops comprehensive project work breakdown structures and associated schedules, resolving project ambiguities as necessary
- Ensures that roles and responsibilities are well understood and fulfilled; addressing any conflict in a timely manner with minimal direction and assistance from management
- Manages project risks, issues and changes and ensures stakeholder expectations are set appropriately
- Engages actively in the project tasks to ensure deliverables are progressing and to ensure quality of the end deliverables
- Develops communication strategies and plans to ensure organizational awareness and adoption of end state
- Serves as subject matter expert in routinely briefing key stakeholders on different aspects of assigned initiatives
- Provides various administrative services necessary to keep the project on track: status reporting, budget and forecast management, resource planning, vendor management
- Mentors junior PMO staff and contributes to definition and implementation of best practices within PMO
- This position requires ITAR access; all candidates must be US Citizens or Permanent Residents.
- These statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees assigned to this job.
- Company description: Intelsat is the largest provider of fixed satellite services worldwide. We enable providers of media, telecom and government services to deliver information and entertainment to people at home, in the office or on the move. On a day-to-day basis, Intelsat supplies video, data and voice connectivity in approximately 200 countries and territories for approximately 1,800 customers, many of which Intelsat has had relationships with for over 30 years. Some of the world’s leading media and communications companies, multinational corporations, Internet service providers and government/military organizations hallmark Intelsat’s customer base. Customers access capacity through extensive service offerings, which include transponder services, hybrid managed services combining satellite capacity and terrestrial facilities, and channel services.
For Immediate Placement - Andrew Raynor Dover New Hampshire